Thursday, April 27, 2006
The Trouble with Srulik:

I stay home with my 2 and 4 year old. My 6 year old is in school.

It's not really accurate to say "I stay home." I go on a trip with them every morning until 12 or 1pm. We go to a playground, or grocery shopping, or wherever. I keep them good and busy in the morning.

Srulik normally falls asleep in the car (or shortly thereafter), around 1-ish. He'll sleep for 2 or 2 1/2 hours, and I'll have a quiet afternoon with Rivky. Well, Srulik has decided he won't nap anymore. He refuses to, even though he's loopy tired. As the afternoon wears on, he gets more and more nutty. He gets aggressive and in-your-face, he literally climbs on top of my head or slaps me. Or if I'm doing something like laundry or cooking, he's right on top of me and interfering. Not to mention the attacks on his siblings, like biting them or pulling their clothes (I thought he would tear Rivky's skirt yesterday). As he gets crazier I do too, and for the past week or so I've been yelling at him every afternoon. I know he's exhausted, and I do have compassion for him. But when he's jumping on top of me and slapping my face, it's hard to be nice.

Last night I made supper early for him and bathed him, so I could put him to bed at 5. Normally, bedtime is 8, but he had no nap and was out of control. I put him to bed and he popped right up again. I tried again at 6. Nothing doing. Finally, he went to bed at 7:30, and he was bonkers until then. (And the kicker is he woke up at 6am today!)

I was so drained from my harrowing afternoon yesterday, I didn't do any of my night-time tasks. I crawled wearily into bed at 8:30. Last time I checked, it's illegal to tie up a kid and sedate him. So if anybody has more constructive suggestions, I'd be grateful.

Maybe I need to be sedated!


2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


My Photo Name: Fancy Schmancy Anxiety Maven
Location: Chutz l'aretz - Outside of Brooklyn

fancymaven at gmail dot com