Saturday, July 15, 2006
What if G-d was a Girl?

I know G-d technically doesn't have a gender. But all the allusions to "Him" do. Within the Judaic framework, He is our "King," and our "Father." When I pray, it's to a male deity. This is not a conscious thing.

I know other religions have masculine godheads too. Some have revered women. Catholics have Mary. Hindus have Kali. But it seems to me the "Man Upstairs" has the most accolades.

I wonder how society would be different if we prayed to a girl god. How would this affect our daily lives, our speech? "Oh my goddess!" We might be heard to say.
Would we be kinder and gentler? I remember once learning in a history class that wars were fought for "God, Glory, and Greed." Would there be so much war if G-d was a girl?

There is such a thing as the "Shechina," the feminine aspect of G-d. The Shechina is a more mystical, hidden dimension of G-dliness.
This facet will be more prominent when Moshiach arrives.

I await you, My Lady.


2 Comments:

  • At 7:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    The Schechinah is here. The men just like to ignore her.
    While Aba is the Father, Imma (Binah) is the Mother. The waters of life flow from Binah.

    She's there all the time my lady. Don't let them tell you differently.

     
  • At 9:05 AM, Blogger Wendy said…

    I wonder about this, too. In the reconstructionist congregations, the readings are all gender neutral. I don't particularly care for it - it doesn't feel right to me. But I do like the thinking behind it...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home


My Photo Name: Fancy Schmancy Anxiety Maven
Location: Chutz l'aretz - Outside of Brooklyn

fancymaven at gmail dot com